Child Support Modification

Child support orders can be changed. A judge may modify an existing order when one party can demonstrate that there has been a significant change in circumstances that affects his or her ability to pay child support — or, in some cases, the other party's need for child support. But this requires petitioning a court to modify the existing order, whether it originated in a divorce or the birth of a child to unmarried parents.

Most modifications are triggered by a change in a payer's income. It is common to see a modification request come on the heels of a job loss or a business problem. The important thing is to seek legal advice as early as possible if you believe you need to change a court order.

Finding Solutions To Child Support Problems

At The Law Office of Patricia A. Hendrickson, based in Huntington Beach, we understand exactly how California child support works. We have helped hundreds of clients in and around Orange County answer questions like:

  • Can I change the amount of my child support payments if I experienced a pay cut?
  • If I lost my job, do I have to keep paying child support?
  • My ex-wife is now married to a man who earns much more than I do — should I still have to keep paying this much child support?
  • What if my custody situation is changing? Will that change my child support?
  • I got divorced years ago. What can I do to bring my child support up to date with my current income?
  • My child's other parent owes back child support. What can I do to collect it?
  • I owe back child support, but I can't afford to pay it. What options do I have?
  • Can we arrange for a modification out of court? Is mediation useful if we can agree on the new terms?

Talk To A Lawyer Who Can Help

Child support problems can feel overwhelming and exhausting. Our attorneys are known as problem solvers. Contact us for guidance.