Visitation Rights

Within a California divorce involving children, many families will have to discuss the topic of visitation rights. Visitation refers to how the parents share time with the children involved in a divorce case. In many cases where one parent is awarded sole child custody, the noncustodial parent will be granted visitation rights.

To reach this agreement, parents can use mediation or collaborative law to negotiate a detailed parenting plan. In cases in which negotiation and discussion are not viable options, the court can make a determination on how visitation will be incorporated within the family.

Types Of Visitation

Visitation can be granted in a variety of ways depending on the specific family situation. In rare circumstances where visitation could prove physically or emotionally harmful to the child, no visitation will be granted to the noncustodial parent.

Supervised visitation is an option that can be used to protect the child's safety and well-being. Visitations can be supervised by the custodial parent, another adult or a professional agency. Unsupervised visitation refers to a situation where the child is able to visit the noncustodial parent on a regular basis without the supervision of another individual.

Enforcement Of Visitation Orders

When a visitation court order has been clearly established, interference from either parent should not occur. The parent who interferes with the court order can face criminal and civil penalties. If you have been restricted from visiting your child during the specific court-mandated times, you can obtain legal assistance to enforce the visitation order.

On the other hand, if the noncustodial parent has made attempts to visit the child outside of court-ordered appointments, the noncomplying parent can be dealt with through a legal process. Whether you need assistance creating a parenting plan or require help enforcing the court order, schedule a free consultation.

Contact the Huntington Beach attorneys at The Law Office of Patricia A. Hendrickson today for the legal assistance your child visitation case requires!