Interstate Child Custody Attorneys

In today's mobile society, many divorced parents find themselves living in different states. This can lead to complications when you need to enforce or change child custody or support orders.

At The Law Office of Patricia A. Hendrickson, based in Huntington Beach, California, our attorneys are here to advise you in interstate child custody and support issues. Call 714-362-2413 for a free initial consultation about your case.

Determining Jurisdiction In Interstate Child Custody Disputes

Determining which state has jurisdiction is the first issue you need to address in a custody or support issue involving parents who live in different states. It can be complex.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is a law that has been adopted by all states except Massachusetts. The UCCJEA gives jurisdiction to the child's home state, which is where the child has lived with a parent during the last six months before the proceeding. If the child has not lived in a single state for six months before the proceeding, the court will look at other factors to determine which state has jurisdiction.

Our lawyers will evaluate the facts of your case and let you know which state has jurisdiction. If California has jurisdiction, our lawyers can represent your interests. If another state has jurisdiction, we can refer you to an attorney in that state.

In every interstate child custody situation, your child's best interest will be the primary concern. Our lawyers will help you protect those interests.

For More Information About Interstate Child Custody Disputes

To discuss child support, child custody and visitation issues when parents live in different states, call 714-362-2413 or complete our simple contact form to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.